Tuesday, February 18, 2014

LLK Tee Pee Sew Along Day 2 - Cutting out the Tent Pieces

Your fabrics/sheets are washed and dried . . . . have you pressed/ironed them?  It is very important to iron all of your pieces, whether you use your iron to mark cutting lines or just to make sure everything is pressed well to make cutting easier, let's do that first.  I recommend using Fabric Sizing or a spray starch.  It really makes ironing easier!

I'll have these tools with me today:



My kindle which has the Tutorial loaded on it, Magic Sizing for my ironing, a measuring tape, a washout cloth marking pencil, my rotary cutter and rulers, and a chalk line tool.

Page 5 of the tutorial is the beginning of "Cutting the Fabric".  We will cut four panels -- this is what the tutorial refers to as the Large Panel.

I ironed my fabric, and folded the Large Panel in half, then marked the cutting line at the top.  We are not concerned about selvage on this project.  We are concerned about making sure we have fabric pieces that are within the required measurements.  When the Large Panel is folded in half, we need to be sure that we will have enough width at the bottom to mark our diagonal line for cutting out the panel.





I've used my washout cloth marking pencil to mark the points required in the tutorial at the top and at the bottom of the Large Panel.  (remember your panel is folded in half now)




Now I'm going to make a line to meet the two marks.


I like to use a chalk line marker, 
but you can use a long ruler or any other straight edge to help you mark the panel shape.  
You may wish to mark your lines on the wrong side of your fabric.  Its personal preference here!



Cut on the marked line.  Repeat with all Large Panels.  Hold onto your remnant/leftovers.  One section will be used for the front door.



Cut the remnant section into two identical/mirror images for the door panel.  (see Tutorial page 7 for photo)

Iron/press your pole fabric, and cut out 5 pieces following the measurements in the tutorial.

If you are using the optional door ties, you'll need to cut four pieces of ribbon, bias tape, or whatever you'd like to use as ties.

We'll cut and assemble Ruffles tomorrow for those who are adding them!

Gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment